Letter to Parent/Carers RE Looking ahead at Portland
Co-op Academy Portland; aspiring to be the best school in the community
Following a turbulent and disruptive year, I hope to welcome all pupils back in September 2020 in a way that is as close as possible to normal school practice.
This depends on a number of factors of course, but I would like to share with you some of the things I will be pursuing over the coming months in order to create a vibrant, energetic and motivating learning environment for our children:
- A focus on communication, language and literacy through play equipment, theatre workshops, outdoor imaginative play and role-play
- Investigations and enquiry work with problems to solve and big questions to answer
- Using focused outdoor learning to inspire reading, writing and vocabulary use (wellies at the ready)
- Working with Birkenhead Park Forestry Rangers to inspire learning and promote cooperation, learning life-skills which will prepare our children for life
- ‘Enrichment’ clubs after school including the creation of school teams to compete against other primary schools
- Full classes in Key Stage 2 (Years 3,4,5,6) to promote social skills, friendships and that buzz of excitement which comes from like-minded learners in an engaging and dynamic class
- Student leadership opportunities supporting independence and responsibility, and preparation for life outside of school
- A future-proofing curriculum with investment in computing technologies and online safety
- A full and comprehensive curriculum supporting our children with future relationships, body confidence and sex education (appropriate to age)
Co-op Academy Portland is aspiring to be the best school in the community. We want to be at the centre of supporting our families, putting Co-op values at the heart of everything we do and building a better future together for the children in our care.
Education changes lives and creates futures. It is absolutely what matters most.
Please continue to trust us, and to trust me, in leading our academy community towards great things.
More information will follow about student leadership opportunities, enrichment clubs and allocated classes and class teachers.
Thank you for your kind words and continued support.