Letter to Parents/Carers RE Re-opening to F1 and F2
School opening to F1 and F2 – Wednesday 1st July: 9:30am – 1:30pm
On Wednesday 1st July Co-op Academy Portland will welcome back our Early Years pupils from our Foundation Stage!
The staff at the academy have ensured safety measures are in place to support the return of younger pupils and have worked hard to support our children maintaining a social distance of 2 metres (6 feet) between each other (although this is due to be updated by the government very soon).
As you can imagine, maintaining social distance between our children will continue to be incredibly important and school pick-ups and drop-off by parents and carers of children in Nursery and Reception will also need to be very carefully managed, with specified time slots allocated for this.
Parents of Nursery and Reception: What to expect
For our returning Nursery and Reception pupils school life at the academy may not be quite like the children expect it to be. Our classes will have approximately 8 pupils in them and each class will be known as a ‘bubble’. The children will be learning at a desk or at an indoor/outdoor learning area for the most part of the day and will eat their packed lunch from home at their desks in their classroom too (unless it is picnic weather).
Strict rules must apply
Although the carefree, hands-on, sharing environment of earlier in the year has gone for now, Co-op Academy Portland teachers are excited to welcome back their Nursery and Reception pupils and continue to support your children’s learning on familiar territory. This is especially important for supporting transition into Year Reception or Year 1 in September.
However, strict rules must be followed if we are to maintain the safe control measures that have been put in place:
- Drop-off time for Nursery and Reception pupils is at 9:30am
- Pick-up time for Nursery and Reception pupils is 1:30pm
- Key-worker families must decide if they want to continue to send their children in to the key-worker bubble, or join their class bubble instead on Wednesday (this decision must then be stuck to)
- Poor behaviour of children cannot be tolerated if there is a risk that the academy’s safety measures are not being maintained; parents will be contacted to remove their son/daughter/ward immediately to ensure our rules are kept
- Hand sanitising must happen on entry into the academy and hand washing routines maintained throughout the school day
- Visits to the toilet will be closely controlled and leaving the classroom will be prohibited in most cases (please contact our team if this may be an issue to your son/daughter/ward).
Parents of Nursery and Reception: What to bring
Your Nursery or Reception child will need:
- a packed lunch including a breaktime snack, and a water bottle (which the grown-ups can top up throughout the day)
*please let us know if you want us to provide a school packed lunch
- a raincoat or jacket to keep them warm when their teacher takes them outdoors
- a clean and fresh set of clothes on each day (co-op jumpers preferred but only if they have been washed from the previous day)
any medication – such as inhaler – if needed
Do not bring:
- any bags or backpacks
- any stationery or pencil cases
- any surplus items from home which may contaminate our school environment or pick up germs from school and taken home
Nursery and Reception pupils: What time and where to arrive
Nursery and Reception children will arrive at 9:30, sanitise their hands at the car-park school gate and enter their allocated learning space which will be the Foundation classrooms, through their normal entrance.
Nursery and Reception children to be picked up at the car park gates at 1:30pm sharp please.
*Please remember to keep your distance please parents! 2 metres is a large distance!
Will my Nursery or Reception child be expected everyday?
Nursery and Reception pupils will attend school on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only.
Nursery and Reception pupils will not attend school on a Monday or a Tuesday.
This is to ensure time for a deep clean and for teachers to support the learning of the children still choosing to access school from home.
We are all very excited to begin to welcome back our Nursery and Reception children again.
Please contact the school office if you have any concerns or queries, or you haven’t yet confirmed that your Nursery and Reception child needs a place in our school bubbles.
Thank you for your help and support.
Stay safe everybody.