Letter to Parents/Carers RE Opening to Year 1
School opening to Year 1 – Monday 22nd June: 9:30am – 1:45pm
On Monday 22nd June Co-op Academy Portland will welcome back our Year 1 pupils.
The staff at the academy have ensured safety measures are in place to support the return of younger pupils and have worked hard to support our children maintaining a social distance of 2 metres (6 feet) between each other.
As you can imagine, maintaining social distance between our children will continue to be incredibly important and school pick-ups and drop-off by parents and carers of children in Year 1 will also need to be very carefully managed, with specified time slots allocated for this.
Parents of Year 1: What to expect
For our returning Year 1 pupils school life at the academy may not be quite like the children expect it to be. Our classes will have approximately 8 pupils in them and each class will be known as a ‘bubble’. The children will be seated at a desk for the most part of the day, or allocated individual learning areas, and will eat their packed lunch from home at their desks in their classroom too (unless it is picnic weather).
Unfortunately no member of the bubble – including the class teacher allocated to the bubble – will be free to interact with any other pupil in the school; even if they had previously been in the same class as their friend/s before the lockdown.
This will be difficult to understand in the beginning, but with careful explanation and continued routines the children will soon adapt to these new systems. Please do discuss this with your children before they join us again next week.
Strict rules must apply
Although the carefree, hands-on, sharing environment of earlier in the year has gone for now, Co-op Academy Portland teachers are excited to welcome back their Year 1 pupils and continue to support your children’s learning on familiar territory. This is especially important for supporting transition into Year 2 in September.
However, strict rules must be followed if we are to maintain the safe control measures that have been put in place:
- Drop-off time for Year 1 pupils is at 9:30am
- Pick-up time for Year 1 pupils is 1:45pm
- Key-worker families must decide if they want to continue to send their children in to the key-worker bubble, or join their class bubble instead on Monday (this decision must then be stuck to)
- Poor behaviour of children cannot be tolerated if there is a risk that the academy’s safety measures are not being maintained; parents will be contacted to remove their son/daughter/ward immediately to ensure our rules are kept
- Hand sanitising must happen on entry into the academy and hand washing routines maintained throughout the school day
- Visits to the toilet will be closely controlled and leaving the classroom will be prohibited in most cases (please contact our team if this may be an issue to your son/daughter/ward)
Parents of Year 1: What to bring
Your Year 1 child will need:
- (a packed lunch will be provided for your child) but should you wish to provide your child with their own packed lunch that is also fine including a breaktime snack, and a water bottle (which the grown-ups can top up throughout the day)
- a raincoat or jacket to keep them warm when their teacher takes them outdoors
- a clean and fresh set of clothes on each day (coop jumpers preferred but only if they have been washed from the previous day)
- any medication – such as inhaler – if needed
Do not bring:
- any bags or backpacks
- any stationery or pencil cases
- any surplus items from home which may contaminate our school environment or pick up germs from school and taken home
Year 1 pupils: What time and where to arrive
Year 1 children will arrive at 9:30, sanitise their hands at the car-park school gate and enter their allocated learning space which will be the Year 1 classrooms, through their normal Year 1 entrance.
Year 1 children to be picked up at the car park gates at 1:45pm sharp please.
*Please remember to keep your distance please parents! 2 metres is a large distance!
Will my Year 1 child be expected everyday?
Year 1 pupils will attend school on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.
Year 1 pupils will not attend school on a Thursday or Friday.
This is to ensure time for a deep clean and for teachers to support the learning of the children still choosing to access school from home.
We are all very excited to begin to welcome back our Year 1 children again.
Please contact the school office if you have any concerns or queries, or you haven’t yet confirmed that your Year 1 child needs a place in our school bubbles.
Thank you for your help and support.
Stay safe everybody.